Friday, September 09, 2005

My freelance life. Part two.

One of the worst things about freelancing is chasing payments. You find yourself in a real quandary if you have to start pestering someone to pay you, which by definition, is irritating for both parties. The problem being that if you're having to make repeated calls and send several e-mails then the payment is probably overdue, that means that the company you're dealing with possibly don't have sufficient funds to pay you. Now that's all well and good but that's of no interest to me. I've done the work for you and now I want my money. You've had plenty of time to sort it out for me and, by rights; you should've factored my costs into yours from the beginning.
However, part of freelancing is building 'relationships' with companies and it's very difficult to start badgering someone if you'd like to get work off them in the future. So you see it's pretty much a lose-lose situation on the side of the little guy. After all they will have no problem finding another designer, especially down here in Brighton.

No comments:

Word of the day. Crapsifruit.

1. a. - Alt. of Crapsifruit. ~ (Crap-see-frute) To be a bit crap and slightly fruity. (See John Inman.)