Wednesday, October 05, 2005

The Phantom Raspberry Blower...

Is no more. The true multi-faceted genius that was Ronnie Barker has left us. It's a massively over-used title but I don't think the moniker 'Comedy Legend' could be applied to anyone more appropriate. Surely he must be ranked up there amongst Britain's, if not the World's, finest comedy performers alongside Peter Sellers and John Cleese. Personally I think he WAS the finest.
Barker's death has brought back so many memories of halcyon times, sitting on the rug as a kid in our old house watching 'The Two Ronnies' whilst my mum toasted crumpets over the fire. (I kid you not. This did happen.) Hey, slight digression. I found a recipe for home-made crumpets t'other day and it blew me away. Don't know why but I don't think I've ever thought of making crumpets myself, they're always something I've just bought. I used to love the silly songs he and Mr. Corbett did to round the show off, and I don't think I'll ever forget the spookiness and down-right silliness of 'The Phantom Raspberry Blower of Old London Town'.
Anyhow, there's been a steady stream of quotes from the land of British comedy since Ronnie died and they all generally say the same thing. He was just golden. So many sitcoms date and it's only the truly great that stand the test. 'Only Fools & Horses'; 'Fawlty Towers'; 'Blackadder' etc... I could watch pretty much any of Ronnie Barker's, Porridge especially, at any time and still laugh out loud despite having seen them many times.
My bro' hit the nail on the head when I spoke to him yesterday when he said that it's a huge shame that Ronnie B is gone but at least they'll show his shows again. If only there was enough airtime to show them all.

No comments:

Word of the day. Crapsifruit.

1. a. - Alt. of Crapsifruit. ~ (Crap-see-frute) To be a bit crap and slightly fruity. (See John Inman.)