Monday, September 18, 2006

Tea is scarse

One of the troublesome elements of freelancing is the distinct lack of tea. Sure if I'm working at home the tea flows like tea flavoured water with milk, which come to think of it, is exactly what a cup of tea is. With sugar. But, and it's a pretty fat butt, when I go trundling off, all springy stepped and eyes alight, to go work at some company or other I'm often shocked by the woefull absence of tea. How do these people function? Do they not know the sweet life-giving loveliness of a brew? How am I supposed to work without it? How does anyone work without it? The British Empire was built on it, we Brits are fuelled by it, people swim in it and wars have been fought, lost, won and run away from over it. (actually I've no idea if those last two are true I was just running out of steam a bit there.)
Sure they'll act all nice and welcoming and be all 'Hi Ben, here's your desk, can you plug your laptop in? You get yourself settled and I'll talk you through the job. Do you want some tea? Milk? Sugar?" in the beginning, but then the tea mysteriously disappears after that as if it were some kind of incentive to work hard. "You've had you tea? Good. Enjoy it did you? Good. NOW WORK YOU SNIVELLING LITTLE BANKRUPT AND I MIGHT JUST DEIGN TO MAKE YOU ANOTHER!".
I mean everyone's entitled to tea at work aren't they? In the words of Grandad in 'Only Fools & Horses', "Everyone's entitled to a cup a' tea Rodney. I mean, it's in the Magna Carta or sumfin." Never was a truer word spoken.

No comments:

Word of the day. Crapsifruit.

1. a. - Alt. of Crapsifruit. ~ (Crap-see-frute) To be a bit crap and slightly fruity. (See John Inman.)