Wednesday, December 06, 2006

On a lighter note...

Spy bees!


Look at 'em, all regimented in their little plastic tubes. Apparently these little fellas have been trained to wave their proboscis around when they smell explosives or other dodgy chemicals. Now I'm all for technological and scientific advances but this one has me baffled. Sniffer dogs I get, they have extraordinary olfactory senses and 'enjoy' what they do. They are also pretty commonplace and it wouldn't freak anyone out to see a dog in, say, an airport. But bees? Surely people will run away from them when they come swarming towards you waving their proboscis (what's the plural of that I wonder?) around. How will the authorities know who's got the bomb and who's just allergic?
(I'm being foolish of course. This is a great discovery by science. Possibly.)

Anyhow, on to the second of todays madcap stories. This one's from good old Auntie Beeb and it's about couples who can now have a section of their wisdom tooth removed and have a wedding ring 'grown' from it. Now that's science! But hang on... what if the bone starts to grow 'into' your finger like some awful, low-budget horror film like my mate Steve said? Or what if your skin gets confused and thinks, "Wait a mo, there's bone there, and it's outside me. Better cover it up quick."
Apparently there's an exhibish in the atrium of Guy's Hospital which is just down the road from where I work so I'll go check it out and report back tomorrow. Sounds cool though. Here's a piccie.

1 comment:

Hostess with the Mostest said...

I saw that spy bees story - how random/cool!

Word of the day. Crapsifruit.

1. a. - Alt. of Crapsifruit. ~ (Crap-see-frute) To be a bit crap and slightly fruity. (See John Inman.)