Wednesday, September 06, 2006

My favourite films

A while back over on my daily blog I compiled a list of my 22 favourite albums, 22 ‘cos I simply couldn’t keep it down to 20 let alone 10, you can see it here. And now I’ve knocked up a list of my 20 favourite films. Here they are in no particular order and please don’t judge me.

Rear Window (The way Al explains our hero’s predicament in the first 30 seconds is brilliant.)
Alien (One of the first truly scary films I ever saw.)
The Big Lebowski (I got hooked on White Russians because of this film)
Shaun of the Dead (The finest of RomZomCom.)
Sexy Beast (‘cos of Ray’s opening soliloquy and Ghandi being truly abhorrent.)
Monty Python & the Holy Grail (“I fart in your general direction silly Arthur King.”)
The Ipcress file (Caine at his best & better than Bond.)
Brazil (Bobby DeNiro as a renegade plumber – inspired.)
Taxi (Crazy ass French film with a pimped up taxi.)
Batman Begins (Exactly how the previous films should’ve been.)
The Time Machine (George Pal’s outstanding ‘60s version not the ropey Hollywoodised Guy Pearce & Smantha Mumba one.)
Star Wars Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back (The best storyline, it had snow and introduced the AT-AT.)
Ravenous (Hardly anyone has seen this but I assure you it’s worth tracking down. Basically it’s about cannibalism and an American outpost around the time of the civil war and it stars Guy Pearce, Robert Carlyle and the bloke who was Ed Rooney in Ferris Beuler.)
The Exorcist (When I saw the infamous ‘spider-walk’ scene in the unedited version I very nearly cried it was so damn scary.)
Akira (For it’s all round graphical beauty and inexplicable plot.)
Withnail & I (“How can it be so cold in here? It’s like Greenland in here.” “Monty you terrible cunt!” “I feel like a pg has shat in my head.” Etc. Etc. Ad nauseam.
As Good as it Gets (A girly love film that I don’t feel even slightly girly watching.)
Get Carter (Caine being even better than in The Ipcress File.)
North by Northwest (If there’s finer drunk acting than Mr. Grant does in this film elsewhere on celluloid then I’ll eat my hat.)
The Italian Job (Caine being better than in The Ipcress File but not as good as in Get Carter. Oh and “This car belongs to the Pakistani ambassador.”)
Transformers The Movie (Wait a minute. They’re cars you say and they turn into robots you say. And it's got an '80s rock soundtrack? This I gotta see!)

No comments:

Word of the day. Crapsifruit.

1. a. - Alt. of Crapsifruit. ~ (Crap-see-frute) To be a bit crap and slightly fruity. (See John Inman.)